MADE IN BRITAIN
All ten etchings derive from Doig’s own paintings from the period 1992 to early 1995. The artist describes the process as ‘a way of cataloguing some of the work I have made over the previous years’. While all the etchings originate from the paintings, the paintings in turn originate from photographs, mostly taken by artist. All but three prints relate to Canada, the country of his childhood.
The portfolio was proofed and editioned at Hope (Sufferance) Press in London, and published in an edition of 35.
In Print Contemporary Art from the Paragon Press, The British Council 2001 Text © Patrick Elliott
- Accession Number P6706
- Dimensions 54 X 44 CM
- Media ETCHING
Existing or coming into being at the same period; of today or of the present. The term that designates art being made today.
All copies of a book, print, portfolio, sculpture, etc., issued or produced at one time or from a single set of type. Printed works can be made in an edition of between one and many thousands of copies. With most printing techniques the plate or screen will become worn if very many prints are made, so to maintain quality (and exclusivity) editions of original prints are usually kept below one hundred copies and normally average between thirty and fifty copies. Prints made up of several different plates can be extremely complicated and time-consuming to edition, so in these cases editions are kept low for practical reasons. Sculptural editions are a set of cast sculptures taken from the same mould or master. These editions are usually much lower, consisting of no more than six casts. Though each cast in an edition might have a lower value than a unique piece, it may be a more effective way of offsetting costs of an expensive process such as bronze casting.
A set of pictures (as drawings, photographs or prints) either bound in book form or loose in a folder. These can be by the same artist or individual works by a selection of artists. The term also refers to the folder which holds the set.
- Albania, Tirana, National Gallery
- Greece, Athens, Benaki Museum
- China, Suzhou Museum
- China, Hong Kong Heritage Museum
- China, Xian Museum
- China, Sichuan Provincial Museum
- Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, National Art Gallery
- Malaysia, Penang, Usm Abn Amro Art And Culture Centre
- Taiwan, Taipei, Taipei Fine Arts Museum
- Singapore, Tyler Print Institute
- Japan, Marugame, Museum Of Contemporary Art
- Japan, Hokkaido, Hakodate Museum Of Art
- Israel, Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv Museum
- Russia, Novosibirsk, Fine Art Museum
- Russia, St Petersburg, Centre Of Graphics And Printmkaing Akhamtova
- Russia, St Petersburg, Pro Arte Institute
- Russia, Yekaterinburg, The Urals Museum Of The Youth
- Russia, Fine Arts Museum
- Slovenia, Ljubljana, International Graphic Arts Centre
- Yugoslavia, Belgrade, Art Pavilion