One of a series of exhibitions oragnised by the Arts Council, each devoted to a decade in the history of British painting from the turn of the 20th century to the 1960s. The series was proposed and selected by Alan Bowness.
A catalogue was published to accompany the exhibition. No ISBN number.
Work of art made with paint on a surface. Often the surface, also called a support, is a tightly stretched piece of canvas, paper or a wooden panel. Painting involves a wide range of techniques and materials, along with the artist's intellectual concerns effecting the content of a work.
Scotland, Aberdeen, Aberdeen Art Gallery And Museum
- 12 May 1973 − 03 June 1973
UK, Bradford, Bradford City Art Gallery
- 14 April 1973 − 06 May 1973
UK, Manchester, Manchester City Art Gallery
- 17 March 1973 − 08 April 1973
UK, Durham, DLI Museum & Art Centre
- 17 February 1973 − 11 March 1973
UK, Carlisle, Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery
- 20 January 1973 − 11 February 1973
UK, Southampton, Southampton City Art Gallery
- 18 December 1972 − 13 January 1973
UK, London, Whitechapel Art Gallery
- 01 November 1972 − 26 November 1972