Artlab is a collaboration between artists Charlotte Cullinan and Jeanine Richards, established in 1997. Their work employs a range of traditional methods including painting, sculpture, performance and photography to explore social, political and familial histories, both personal and shared.
Artlab's artist-run space 'The Savage School Gallery' opened in October 2006 at 7 Vyner Street, London E2, as part of an ongoing investigation into the varied platforms of art making. Indeed much of their practise aims to involve other work and provide support for other artists.
Solo Exhibitions in London have included 'Objects from the Old Regime' Ritter/ Zamet (2005). 'Independent Republic' M.O.T. Gallery (2005) 'Iglesia Universal' INIVA, (2002) and group shows have included 'Edge of the Real', Whitechapel Gallery (2004) and 'Summer Daze', South London Gallery (2005).
Internationally, Cullinan + Richards are known for specifically commissioned works such as 'Free State Cinema' for 'Ambulantes' - Museum of Contemporary Art, Seville (2004), 'En Plein Air' - 11th Biennial of Visual Art, Pancevo, Serbia (2004) and 'Cinema of the Mind, a project for prisoners' made in Louisiana and Mississippi, USA (2001).
Existing or coming into being at the same period; of today or of the present. The term that designates art being made today.
Work of art made with paint on a surface. Often the surface, also called a support, is a tightly stretched piece of canvas, paper or a wooden panel. Painting involves a wide range of techniques and materials, along with the artist's intellectual concerns effecting the content of a work.
A three-dimensional work of art. Such works may be carved, modelled, constructed, or cast. Sculptures can also be described as assemblage, in the round, relief, and made in a huge variety of media. Contemporary practice also includes live elements, as in Gilbert & George 'Living Sculpture' as well as broadcast work, radio or sound sculpture.
- Greece, Athens, Ileana Tounta Contemporary Art Centre
- Chile, Santiago, Instituto De Arte Moderno
- Colombia, Barranquilla, Museo De Arte Moderno
- Colombia, Cali, Museo La Tertulia
- Colombia, Bogota, Galeria Santa Fe De Bogota
- Venezuela, Caracas, Museo De Artes Visuales Alejandro Otero
- Venezuela, Maracaibo, Museo Arte Contemporaneo De Zulia
- Albania, Tirana, Galeria Kombetare E Arteve
- Macedonia, Skopje, Museum Of Modern Art
- Bulgaria, Varna, Varna Art Museum
- Bulgaria, Plovdiv, Plovdiv City Art Gallery
- Bulgaria, Sofia, Sofia City Art Gallery
- Cyprus, Limassol, Evagoras Lanitis Centre
- Cyprus, Nicosia, Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre
- Slovenia, Ljubljana, Mestna Gallery
- Slovenia, Celje, Contemporary Arts Gallery
- Slovenia, Maribor, Kibla Centre
- Estonia, Tallinn, Tallinn Town Hall
- Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Museum of Fine Art, Husove Street Gallery
- Yugoslavia, Podgorica, Podgorica
- Yugoslavia, Belgrade, Art Pavilion
- Poland, Wroclaw, Awagarda Gallery
- Croatia, Zagreb, Muzej Suvremene Umjetnosti
- Croatia, Zadar, Galerija Umjetnin Narodnog Muzeja
- Croatia, Split, Galerija Umjetnina
- Croatia, Dubrovnik, Palaca Sponza
- Romania, Sibiu, Museum Brukenthal
- Romania, Brasov, Muzeul De Arta Brasov
- Romania, Bucharest, National Museum Of Art